The primary goal for this project was to craft a modernist derivation of pueblo architecture.
Set into a heavily laden boulder hillside, the design also reflects the nature of the stacked boulder formations. The site, located near local landmark Pinnacle Peak, offered breathtaking views which were largely upward, making proximity an issue. Maintaining southwest fenestration protection and maximizing views created the primary design constraint. The views are maximized with careful orientation, exacting overhangs, and wing wall locations. The overhangs intertwine and undulate with alternating materials stacking to reinforce the boulder strewn backdrop. The elegant material palette and siting allow for great harmony with the native desert.
The Elegant Modern at Estancia was the collaboration of many of the Valley’s finest luxury home specialists. Interiors guru David Michael Miller contributed elegance and refinement in every detail. Landscape architect Russ Greey of Greey | Pickett contributed a landscape design that not only complimented the architecture, but nestled into the surrounding desert as if always a part of it. And contractor Manship Builders — Jim Manship and project manager Mark Laidlaw — brought precision and skill to the construction of what architect C.P. Drewett described as “a watch.”
Project Details | Elegant Modern at Estancia
Architecture: CP Drewett, AIA, NCARB
Builder: Manship Builders, Carefree, AZ
Interiors: David Michael Miller, Scottsdale, AZ
Landscape: Greey | Pickett, Scottsdale, AZ
Photography: Dino Tonn, Scottsdale, AZ and Werner Segarra, Phoenix, AZ
- “On the Edge: The Rugged Desert Landscape Forms the Ideal Backdrop for an Estancia Home Distinguished by its Modernist Lines” Luxe Interiors + Design, Nov/Dec 2015.
- 2015 Gold Nugget Grand Award: Best Custom Home over 8,000 sq. ft.
- The Nationals 2016 Silver Award: Best Architectural Design of a One of a Kind Home – Custom or Spec
- 2016 Arizona ASLA Award of Excellence: Residential
- 2015 Excellence in Masonry Architectural Award – Merit Award
Read more about this project: