Ebony and Ivory—a Paradise Valley, Ariz., home—was honored with the prestigious Room of the Year award for its outdoor living space at the 2021 Best in American Living Awards (BALA) held in February 2022, by the National Association of Home Builders.
Combining a classic aesthetic with modernist design principles, the residence is a marriage of light and dark. Its patio areas are flanked by alfresco living and kitchen spaces, as well as impressive canyon views. “This house is all about the outdoors,” notes BALA’s 2021 judging panel. “The layout and lighting are fabulous.”
Described by the judges as “serene” and “exquisite,” the home’s indoor/outdoor bar is the showpiece of the public space and is anchored by a massive wall of ivory chipped-face limestone. Metal-wrapped shelving adds to the modern aesthetic, while an alder plank ceiling provides a warm contrast that is enhanced with ample lighting both in the ceiling and surrounding the bar top and shelves.
The home’s architect was C.P. Drewett, AIA, NCARB, founder and president of Drewett Works in Scottsdale; the builder and landscape designer was BedBrock Developers; and the interiors and furnishings were by Mara Interior Design.
“It is such a privilege to be recognized by the judges for our work,” said C.P. Drewett, founder/architect/president at Drewett Works. “We share all of these honors with an amazing team of builders, interior designers, craftsmen and landscape professionals who continually dedicate themselves to doing exceptional work. But more than anything, we are thankful for our extraordinary clients who trust and empower us to do what we do best.”
The residence also won a Platinum award for Outdoor Room as well as a Gold for Specialty Room.
Drewett Works 2021 Best in American Living awards:
- Room of the Year – Ebony and Ivory
- Platinum Award – Outdoor Room – Ebony and Ivory
- Platinum Award – Remodeling: Kitchen Over $125,000 – Now and Zen
- Platinum Award – Kitchen, Production/Spec – The Model Home
- Platinum Award – Specialty Room/Project, Production/Spec – The Model Home 19th Hole Entertainment Zone
- Gold Award – Specialty Room/Project – Ebony and Ivory Indoor/Outdoor Bar
- Gold Award – One-of-a-Kind Custom Home 5,001-6,000 sq ft – Razor’s Edge
- Gold Award – Remodeling: Entire Home Over $750,000 – Now and Zen
In its 38th year, BALA recognizes outstanding achievements by builders and design professionals in all sectors of the residential housing industry, including single-family production, custom, rental, affordable, interiors, remodeling, community and international. The awards, which were presented in Orlando, Fla., were sponsored by Monogram.
Award winners were formally announced during a ceremony on Feb. 9, 2022, in Orlando, Fla. Additional information about the BALA program can be found at bestinamericanliving.com.
This is the fourth year in a row for Drewett Works to take home a “Best Of” award. Read more about Drewett Works’ 2018, 2019 and 2020 BALA wins here.
- Home of the Year 2020 – The Crusader
- Room of the Year 2020 – Tonal Harmony
- Best in Region 2020 – Pacific – The Crusader
- Platinum Award 2020 – Detached Home Over 5,000 sq ft, Built for Sale – The Crusader
- Gold Award 2020 – Detached Home Over 5,000 sq ft, Built for Sale – Urban Modern
- Platinum Award 2020 – On the Boards Single-Family Production/Spec Home – Tri-Angulate
- Platinum Award 2020 – Owner Suite, Custom – Tonal Harmony
- Platinum Award 2020 – Outdoor Room – Tonal Harmony
- Silver Award 2020 – Outdoor Room – The Crusader
- DW Wins 2019 Room of the Year
- DW Wins 2018 Home of the Year